Skip to content Skip to footer

Are you in energy debt?

Speak, seek, save

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier — you should speak, seek, save. It’s important to speak to your energy supplier as soon as possible.

Here’s what you need to know…

Speak to you energy supplier

If you’re struggling to afford your bills, you should contact your supplier as soon as possible.

Your supplier has to help you come to a solution and negotiate a payment plan that works for both of you. When making a payment plan, they have to take into account how much you can afford to pay and how much energy you’ll use in future. On a payment plan, you’ll pay in fixed amounts towards the debt you owe over a set period of time.

If you can’t come to an agreement with your supplier about repaying your debt, you should get help from one of our advisers.

Seek advice on managing debt

Energy bill debt is classed as a priority debt so it’s important to get advice from a charity or organisation to help you manage your debt as soon as you can.

A debt charity will help you with long-term strategies to reduce your debt. But be careful as not all debt advice is trustworthy. You should use the StepChange checklist to make sure you’re getting advice you can trust. National providers of free debt advice include Citizens AdviceStepChange, and the National Debtline.

Save energy by making sure your home is energy efficient

There are simple changes you can make around your home to be more energy efficient, such as checking your central heating or using your appliances differently.

You might also be able to get help towards the cost of making bigger energy efficiency changes around your home such as getting a new heating system. But make sure you keep your home warm enough so there’s less risk of it becoming damp and you getting ill. And make sure you keep essential appliances, such as your fridge switched on.

Need more help?

If you need support with your energy bills, call our free energy helpline – specifically for Rushmoor residents – and speak to one of our advisers. You may also be entitled to a one-off grant from the Household Support Fund worth up to £147.

You can call the helpline on 0808 175 3559* during the following times:

  • Wednesdays – 10am to 1:30pm
  • Thursdays – 10am to 1:30pm

You can also contact Citizens Advice’s consumer helpline if you’re struggling to afford your energy bills or struggling to come to an agreement with your supplier.